Monday, December 11, 2006

My friend Kirk and I always joke about being economic slaves. We try to find the humor in our situation because it helps alleviate the sadness. It is funny to us that our jobs sometimes require us to do menial things, such as, cleaning out a trash can with a toothbrush or serving 200 eager baby boomers a caffinated beverage in the morning time. I am sure most people can relate to situations of the average proletariat, at least to an extent.I consider myself a modern proletariat because I do not own the means of production and I do not earn the profit of my labor. Proletariats are everywhere, and sometimes I ask myself if they are aware of their situation. Most of the time I will come to the conclusion that very few are aware of the economic system and situation that they are a part of, but I am sure nearly all of them hate what they do. I think Aristotle would call these people slaves because many of them are unable to see a day ahead of themselves. This ties in to my belief that slavery still exists, but it has taken a new form. Economic slavery is everywhere, but since slavery has such negative connotations, the word is rarely used. Let us face the truth, and that is that if you live in a capitalist nation and do not join the economy you will not be part of society. So that leaves us with the option to either start a business or work for someone. Too often we choose to work for someone and thus become proletariates, which typically means low wages. I imagine that it is extremely hard to live on such low wages, and I realize that although I am one of them, my life is a little easier because my parents still help me. In life if you do not learn a skill or you do not start a business, you are destined to be a bitter proletariat. Since many people hear Kirk and I jokingly complain about the exploitation of proletariats, they think we are against capitalism. In fact, it is quite the opposite. We fully embrace capitalism. Our only concern is that we find a way to be part of the bourgeoisie, so that we could own the means of production. Exploitation is wonderful as long as you are the exploiter and not the exploited. That is what makes capitalism the greatest economic system thus far. A business owner understands that economic slaves will always be around because there will always be people who can't see a day ahead of themselves. And if you can't see a day ahead of your self then it is not wrong to exploit your labor. Do people in my generation ever ponder these questions? I would guess that the majority of them do not but I am sure some do. Is my point of view a strange argument in favor of capitalism? Can you sense the honesty and satire?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home